Monday, January 14, 2008

Pizza Dreams

I first met Sean Andrew Murray twelve years ago when he was an art student at Syracuse University. He held still long enough during our pizza dinner to let me sketch a quick portrait.

I ran into him again recently. I was pleased to learn that he’s one of the most sought-after concept designers in the game industry, working for Big Huge, EA, Turbine, and MindEngine.

I met a lot of amazingly gifted and hard-working art students during the recent book tour. Who knows where each one of them will turn up a dozen years from now?

Tomorrow: Moving Mountains

4 comments:

deschamps said...

Yes, I'll agree with that. Sean is quite a talent as well as a really nice guy!

The Warrior said...

Hello!

I must admit I've never read one of your books (maybe that will change, haha!) but was very interested when I read the interview in the latest issue of Prehistoric Times. (Yes, I know, I'm one of those cave-dwellers you talked about!)

You have a very interesting blog here, and the small amount of your dinosaur art I've seen is enough to blow my mind (Isn't it about time a museum commissioned you for an exhibit?). I too love all things paleo, and my blog has a lot about it all.

Cheers!

Spencer / aka Dr. Paleo Ph.D.

P.S. You've been added to my blog roll!

Dan Gurney said...

You met a lot of students on your tour, touching countless lives in ways you cannot know. Think back on the impact of this encounter, the one you described in your post on December 8:

"Once we explained the whole story to him, he was very kind and encouraging. I noticed his office had a drawing table and art supplies. The man explained that he was a professional illustrator. I had never met an illustrator before, and at that moment I decided I wanted to be one."

Don't you wish you could tell him this story?

Stephen James. said...

I'm currently collecting for the broke art students charity funds. Donations are really appreciated.

Seriously, that's a very UnDinotopian thing to say isn't it?