Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Art By Committee: Mutated Rodents

On Wednesdays we play a group sketch game called "Art By Committee." This all began with a sketchbook that I bring to coffee shops whenever I have lunch with fellow artists. The challenge is to illustrate an actual excerpt taken out of context from a science fiction novel.

This week’s quote about mutated rodents brought out some brilliant solutions. Thanks to everyone for lending your time and talent.

If you think you might like to give it a try next week, check at the end of the post for the submission guidelines and the next challenge.


…and the sketch by Jeanette, me, and a couple friends.

Here’s next week’s quote: “I was thankful I had brought goggles when the quick deadly dust storms came boiling up.”

Please scale your JPG to around 700 pixels across (I'm trying to keep the files small so I don't top out my Blogger account). Title it with your name, send it to: jgurneyart(at)yahoo.com, subject line ABC, and let me know in your email if you want me to link to your blog or website. Please have your entries in by next Tuesday at 10:00 AM Eastern Time USA.

6 comments:

Random York said...

I think these are much more fun than what I see in my newspaper-
Hey, is that "Anatole" in Jen Zeller Gregory Bockis' picture? Great stuff!

James Gurney said...

Random, I don't know about Anatole, but I fixed Jen Zeller and Gregory Bockis's pictures so that they line up properly.

Random York said...

I thought that was a long name... (I should have thought a little longer)

Erik Bongers said...

Lots of rat interpretations but Joe Sutphin's is tongue-in-cheek at it's best!
Great facial expressions.

Unknown said...

Joe,

To take a guy's favorite chair, his clicker and his bag of chips -- that is just wrong! Very funny.

I love them all!

Anonymous said...

thanks guys.