Friday, January 2, 2009

Arc of Hollows

When drawing the shoulder area of the torso, watch for the “arc of hollows.”


These pits or indentations follow a curving line from the pit of the neck to beneath the clavicle. The line curves along the leading edge of the deltoid and ends in the armpit.


The arc of hollows is marked in yellow on this study of a reference sculpture.


The hollows are marked with X’s here in Michelangelo’s David.

This idea came from Drawing the Head & Figure, by Jack Hamm, 1963, page 70.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

So interesting and handy! I will have to look for that in my next figure drawing session.

Patrick Dizon said...

Wow!!!! I'm aware of those pits, but I've never seen that arc they all form.

I'm going to keep that in mind for sure. Thanks!

Lauri Strawberry said...

Just to let you know I really enjoy reading your blog each morning. Please keep up the good work !

Dag said...

Hi James!!!
I wish you an excellent year with all good things to you and Jeanette!!
I hope your blog will keep on like this with some tips and councils^^

Bye
Dag

Unknown said...

somewhat artificial, this "finding" of J. Hamm

Mary Bullock said...

I just happened on your blog yesterday and love the info here. Great tip for today. Thanks!

Mary
The Figurative Realm of Mary Bullock

Marc Hudgins said...

basic nuts and bolts information.

Stephen James. said...

I have one friend, and fellow art student, that believed "anatomy is for the dead, not artist!" He's changed his view somewhat...

It's still an area where I have problems.

Robert Squier said...

I really appreciate kernels of insight like the "Arch of Hollows". Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Unknown said...

Thanks, James, that's extremely helpful. Do you have any tips on drawing the neck? I'm often fudging the stern mastoids in my drawings and any tips like this arc of hollows for the neck would be most appreciated. Happy New Year!