Friday, May 15, 2009

ABC: Harper

The 15th of the month is the day for a group sketch game called "Art by Committee." I share an excerpt from a science fiction story and you visualize it.

This month's quote was: “The harper began to sing. His deep voice was fine and sweet, eloquently expressing his intent. He sang of the bitterness of defeat and the gut-wrenching carnage of war. He sang of boys…”

Your solutions took the quote in a lot of interesting directions, from lyrical to surreal to surprising to straightforward.

Damian Johnston
Website

Wendy de Wolfe
Blog:

Rachael Haupt
Website
Andy Wales
Blog:

Mei-Yi Chun
Website:

Mark Heng
Blog:

Mario Zara
Blog:

Jeremy Hughes
Blog

Marisa Bryan
Flickr:

Patrick Waugh
Blog

And the one in the original sketchbook, which I hasten to explain was drawn by a whole group of science fiction artists at a fantasy convention. They were making a little fun of the tradition of filking, a brand of folksinging that could be found at cons.

For June let’s try the business card game. I picked up this card more than twenty years ago. It was publicly displayed in a restaurant along with thousands of others, but I blurred out the last name anyway. I don’t know anything about the person except what’s on the card. Your assignment is to illustrate the owner of the card and his or her profession based just on the card itself.

Have fun! Please scale your JPG to 400 pixels across and compress it as much as possible. Title it with your name, send it to: jgurneyart(at)yahoo.com, subject line ABC. Please let me know in your email the full URL of the link to a larger image or your blog or website so people can see your image in all its glory and learn more about your other work. Please have your entries in by the 13th of June. I'll post the results June 15.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

strange enough, I once worked for a company similar to Iron Mountain in Columbus OH. I believe they were purchased by Iron Mountain eventually. it was a very short employment! i Was told I would be sorting through documents to recycle the paper products, but it turned out that it was hand sorting garbage. After a few days I couldn’t even eat my dinner at night because any hint of citrus caused flashbacks of rotten food during the day! what a nightmare!!!

Mark Heng said...

Dig that crazy alien harp! And nice lighting on that one.

Always a pleasure to see everyone's interpretation!

Mario said...

Nice additions, very different interpretations!

I didn't know abot filking and those "modern bards", I've found some examples on youtube. Very funny.
I suspected there was a humorous side behind that quotation :)