Friday, September 4, 2009

Art Out Loud

If you would like to watch five artists on a high wire act, come to New York City a week from tomorrow.

At the Society of Illustrators, five of us will demonstrate our painting methods in an informal setting, where people can come up and watch or ask questions.

I'll be joining four of my admired friends and colleagues: Sam Weber, Charles Vess, Donato Giancola, Greg Manchess (painting above).

Just for fun I'm going to try something a little different. Walt Reed and his son Roger, authors of The Illustrator in America and owners of Illustration House gallery, have agreed to be my models for a series of two quick portrait studies in oil. I'm not only excited to have the opportunity to paint them, but also to chat with them about the history of illustration.

Also, you can peruse the first advance copy of Imaginative Realism, which just arrived from the printer, as well as copies of Dinotopia for sale.

As Irene Gallo has mentioned on her blog post about the event, "Space is very limited and tickets are cheap. Buy tickets in advance, all previous Art Out Louds have sold out." UPDATE: I'm very sorry, but I just found out that the event has just sold out. You were right, Irene!

When: Saturday, September 12, 2009 1-5pm at
Where: Society of Illustrators
on 128 East 63rd Street.
Cost: $10 students, $20 members, $25 non-members. Refreshments included.
RSVP: kevin@societyillustrators.org 212 838 2560

6 comments:

Super Villain said...

haha, a little late on the post james, this sold out yesterday at 5pm.....

i called today and there is a waiting list of 20 people....ahhh

would have loved to stop by and seen your demo, and the awsome work of Greg Manchess!

Kactiguy said...

I was really hoping to be able to get out there, but alas, the stars just didn't align. Take a lot of photos for us.

Paolo Rivera said...

Jim, Jim, Jim... They've been sold out for a long time! I tried calling weeks ago with no luck.

I know it's going to be an awesome demo (that's why it's sold out). Wish I could be there!

INDIGENE said...

Oh my! This really means that we should have many more sessions like this, so that more of us can attend! It's even harder on those of us coming from (2) hours away! I am truly disappointed. Can't you lobby for more presentations like this?

James Gurney said...

Don't worry, gang...we'll cover it well with photos on my blog, and I'll bet Irene Gallo will, too.

Indigene, I'm sure we'll do something like this again. Maybe some of you can come to the Illustration Master Class in June.

Sorry I didn't do the formal announcement sooner. Although I had it mentioned in the "Upcoming Appearances" several weeks ago, I wanted to make sure my model was going to be able to do it before I announced.

Gene Snyder said...

Jim,

Pleasure meeting you at ART OUT LOUD. Being both a fine artist and fantasy illustrator, your work is inspirational, not to mention this blog! It's incredible - chock FULL of ideas, tips, and guidance. I purchased a copy of Dinotopia directly from you in NYC, but held off from purchasing "Imaginative Realism" as we're getting ready to move and I'd hate for the owners of our old house to get a nice copy of your book in the mail! I'll purchase when we get settled.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Gene Snyder
www.snyderart.com