Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thick Paint Blog

Utah-based landscape painter Brad Teare has just launched a blog (with some nice explanatory videos) called "Thick Paint" about painting with heavy impastos.


"For the last few years for at least once a month I browsed the internet for articles about Thick Paint or Painting with Thick Paint finding no entries to aid me in my pursuit of painting with a fully loaded brush. Although intitially discouraged, I now take it as encouragement to write about my experience of the last twelve years wrestling with the maddening, yet exhilarating, prospect of highly textured oil paint."

-----
Thick Paint blog
Brad Teare website

7 comments:

armandcabrera said...

Jim,

I don't know, my dad always said 'if it ain't broke don't fix it.' I look forward to see what you do with this in your work though.

lilly piri said...

Thanks so much for linking to that blog! I've been wondering how to paint like this.

Daniel Andrews said...

Thanks for the link. This is interesting work.
I loved that comment in his video about how the more popular the digital method gets the more fascinated people may become to the hand made types of art. Ive only been painting for 14 months and I learned Digitally, but Ive been getting some success with painting in oils now, and my love for it is growing.
It was an interesting comment to me and I respect it due to hearing allot of constant discussion online about traditional VS digital these days.
All the best

Daniel Andrews
http://danielandrews.ca

asherwrites said...

wow interesting. I appreciate these kinds of art (though I'm not quite an artist myself.) I kind of hate modern art.

I'm a new blogger, please visit:

http://asherwrites.blogspot.com/

I write about anything.

Anonymous said...

Interesting technique! =)

ROSITA's said...

hi,,that's a good technique,,and i think it's very full of artistic..

Christopher Manzanares said...

Jim,
Great post. I really enjoy the amount of thought and control Teare uses to go into a painting, rather than just splashing thick paint on a canvas. Most of my illustration builds up extrmely thin layers, but I've been trying to work more impasto with my portraiture, looking at instructors like Dave Leffel, who works very similar to Rembrandt. You can find some of his videos on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1DQ2Cg0Bvg