Monday, August 9, 2010

Visual Perception in IFX

The new issue of ImagineFX magazine (issue 60) has a special article that I wrote for artists on the subject of visual perception. It previews material adapted from my upcoming book, Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter (November, Andrews McMeel).

The article includes both cutting-edge science and practical applications:
•Why moonlight looks blue.
•Our brains automatic “white balance” setting, and how to overcome it.
•How to use colour afterimages to make your paintings better.
•How colours are tied to emotions.
•Using eyetracking data to help you design better compositions.

ImagineFX is the premier magazine for the field of science fiction and fantasy art. It usually contains a DVD with additional images and videos.

ImagineFX website
"Color and Light" book on Amazon

8 comments:

Mark Heng said...

Nice! I'm preordering the book this week. Quick question regarding color perception in the field: How do you compensate when depicting a certain light situation when actually in it? For instance, when painting a twilight scene when the everything is darker and bluer, how do you judge your painting when it and your palette are being similarly affected by the light?

Anonymous said...

Imagine FX is a really great resource for illustrators. Ive gotta pick up the current issue. I believe it has an article on this years IMC as well. Jim, thanks again for taking part this year!

C B Sorge said...

Thanks to your heads up awhile back, Mr. Gurney, I got my art published in IFX! As I'm just starting out on my career that was a big confidence boost. I still haven't grabbed a copy of issue 60 yet to see it though (or if it's in a later issue).

K. W. Broad said...

I agree with Dominick. The magazine has been a fantastic resource. Being in the states I'll have to get my copy of issue 60 next month, but thanks for the heads up! Sounds like it addresses a couple issues I've been struggling with lately.

Andrew Finnie said...

Hey looking forward to the book

tayete said...

Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!! Amazon has just written to me (I preordered your new book) saying the launching date has been slightly delayed!!! Will I be able to spend the Christmas holidays without it?

James Gurney said...

Don't worry, Tayete, it will be out way before the holidays, probably in early to mid November.

James Gurney said...

Mark, interesting question. When you're in a colored light environment, your eyes automatically correct to a neutral color balance, like a camera's automatic white balance. The only time it doesn't work is when the light is monochromatic (like sodium vapor streetlights) or when your drawing is in one color of light and the subject is in another. Then it can get confusing.