Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Guest-blogger Jeanette

This sketch was done in ballpoint pen with watercolor wash. I sat next to Jim, and my picture begins just to the left of where his sketch ends. Trying to get the half-timbering (pan-de-bois) correct was insanely time-consuming.

As we sat there on our folding stools, people from Bourges kept walking by us, saying encouraging things in French. At least I assume it was encouraging from their facial expressions, as I don’t speak much French.

It’s amazing how Jim and I can sketch the same subject at the same time and come up with entirely different results. Almost invariably, mine is breezy and cheerful, and Jim’s is carefully drawn, with moody lighting. I see everything in line, Jim sees form and light first.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Did the French, passing by, say things like "Ah oui, c'est magnifique!" or rather "Ah les connards, pourquoi pas prendre une photo, c'est plus facile!"?

(the first expression is more encouraging ;-) )

John Fleck said...

Nice work, Jeanette!

Roberto said...

Bravo Jeanette!
In one of Jim’s recent posts the topic of developing a personal style came up. I don’t think we can help interpreting an image in our own unique style. I would be surprised if your work looked the same as Jim’s.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful painting with us. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future (and more of Dan’s poetry as well). -RQ

Daroo said...

Ah, but what a line-- Good design too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I love to see the different artistic perspectives!

Dit said...

You world was definitely sunnier on your side Jeanette! :)
It is fascinating to see the same scene by two different artists, it really highlights how important individual interpretation is. Which is what art is about for me.
They are equally fantastic!

Dit said...

I meant "The world"...

SVSART said...

It is always interesting to see how differently artists can interpret a similar scene. Since I know the two of you are usually working at the same time in the same area, I do often find myself wondering what Jeanette was drawing?? Thanks for sharing Jeanette!