Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Air Jousting

Advanced pterosaur pilots, or “skybax riders” as they are called in Dinotopia, learn the sport of air jousting.


The armor is a lightweight version of horse jousting armor from the Middle Ages in Europe, where the rider can only see through a narrow slit in his sallet, or helmet. The protection for the eyes of the skybax makes him blind during the approach. A dismounted skybax rider must parachute to the ground.

 
The final oil painting was published in Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara (2007), but it was based on a quick marker sketch that I did much earlier.

Beginning January 20, the original painting will appear along with more than 40 of my other paintings, in the exhibition: Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara, The Paintings of James Gurney, at the The Alden B. Dow Museum of Science and Art in Midland, Michigan. The show is the same as the one recently in Lucca, Italy.
______
The Alden B. Dow Museum of Science and Art/ Midland Center for the Arts
Web article about the exhibit, which includes “Bigger than T. Rex: Giant Killer Dinosaurs of Argentina.”
Journey to Chandara at the Dinotopia Store.
Journey to Chandara on Amazon.

7 comments:

David Glenn said...

Why is there air jousting in Dinotopia? I thought they didn't approve of violence.

James Gurney said...

David, there has been violence and chivalry at various stages of Dinotopia's history, and this is a holdover of those times, more of a sport of skill and courage than a form of violence.

Steve said...

Midland is a two hour drive from home. I'll definitely be making the pilgrimage to see the original paintings! There doesn't seem to be any kind of meet-the-artist opening reception, true?

James Gurney said...

Hi, Steve, None planned. I was out there around 2006 for a lecture. Would love to come out, but weather makes the logistics difficult.

Will Kelly said...

This is really one of my favorite parts of JtC. I think it would be really cool illustrate how the "Desert Resistance overcame the Strutter Invasion more than 3,500 years ago". There's a whole book for you!

Stay warm in the snow - sounds like a foot of it is coming your way!
-Will

sarah L said...

Wow, I really thought there would be more comments here. I must say I love the air jousting and the strutters as a hint to past struggles. It always reminded me of star trek the next generation.

Also, beware the snow.

DPetersen said...

I second an author appearance! Midland is a few hours north of me, but certainly worth the drive.