Friday, April 8, 2011

Envelope Art Contest

After yesterday’s post, several of you suggested a gallery or contest of envelope art, and I think it’s a great idea. So let’s do it.



1. Decorate a standard size #10 envelope. It could be any style, subject, or medium.
2. Address it to “Envelope Art Contest, The Dinotopia Store, PO Box 693, Rhinebeck, NY 12572.”
3. If it’s part of a store order, I’ll ship your stuff and set your envelope aside for the contest. All USA entrants will receive a signed Color and Light poster. Artists from other countries are eligible too.
4. Entries must be postmarked by May 30, 2011. June 1 (due to May 29 and 30 being postal holidays).
5. On June 10, I’ll post all the entries on the GurneyJourney blog. You’ll vote on them in a blog poll.
6. PRIZES: The winning entrant will receive a set of signed and remarqued posters: (Color and Light, Imaginative Realism, Journey to Chandara, and the Norton Museum show poster.) The second and third place finishers will get signed and remarqued "Color and Light" and "Imaginative Realism" posters.
7. People of any age, and any level of experience can enter. If you're 17 or younger, please write your age on the back of the envelope.
8. If you’re not sending a store order, you can just send a decorated envelope.
9. Entries can't be returned. All art becomes the property of BDSP, Inc. You’ll be credited on the blog with your website if you like (write that on the back of the envelope). If you don’t want your return address shown, please write it on the back of the envelope, or else I can blur it out.

Incidentally, can anyone guess who illustrated the envelope above? Hint: it’s a top animator at a big studio, drawn in 2003 when he was a first year art student.

10 comments:

Bexrex said...

I'm in! Get ready for my astounding entry...!

P.T. Waugh said...

Maybe Stephen Hillenberg or C.H.Greenblat?

Matthew Gauvin said...

awesome! Deffinetly doing this!
(I hope)

Kiri Østergaard Leonard said...

This sounds like fun! I will participate and see if I can convince some of my class mater in art school to do so as well.

Rummy the tuxey kitty! said...

I'm glad there's no age limit! I've been a Dinotopia fan since I first got the books for my bat mitzvah. I'll give you a hint...Jurassic Park the movie came out a few years before, and I was the only dino girl in school!

Rachel Kimberly said...

Oooh. This sounds like fun!

Emily Willoughby said...

I was intending on entering this, and set this weekend aside to do it - then I realized that May 30 is memorial day and there's no mail! I dearly do hope you'll accept a May 31 postmark...

James Gurney said...

Hi, Emily, Glad you noticed that. No problem with May 31.

Unknown said...

I just realized I forgot to put "Envelope Art Contest" in the address! I hope that doesn't disqualify me. *panicked*

James Gurney said...

Not to worry, Shari. It will be clear from the envelope itself! Thanks for entering.