Saturday, January 7, 2012

ImagineFX Map Special

Today the UK edition of ImagineFX magazine #79 is officially released. ImagineFX is the premier magazing for contemporary fantasy and science fiction artwork. 


The new issue contains a seven page article that I wrote for them with 30 illustrations and 26 of my most valuable tips on the subject of mapmaking and world-building for fantasy artists and writers.

I believe maps are one of the key strategies to develop your own concept from a group of paintings to a whole coherent universe. In the workshop, I discuss everything from tunnel maps, locator maps, building plans, city grids, schematic maquettes, antiquing strategies to many other methods I learned while developing maps and cutaways for National Geographic magazine.


In addition to that, 30,000 copies of the new ImagineFX will include a free gift: a fold-out Dinotopia map on one side with a 2012 year planner on the other side.
-----

2 comments:

Nick said...

Thanks for the heads up, James. I'll be sure to pick this up.

Joseph Travis said...

My cop of the magazine came earlier in the week, I showed it to my little boy and he got so very excited, need to find something to stick it to his wall for him.

He loves dinosaurs the most especially round the edges, and he like maps too. Being married with children I'm not usually allowed to put up imaginefx inserts.