Saturday, May 12, 2012

Weird deep sea creatures


(Video link) Here's a weird sea creature caught on video by a remotely operated undersea vehicle.


(Video link) This deep-sea squid was videotaped by one of Shell Oil's deep sea robotic rovers in the Perdido Area of Alaminos Canyon, at 7800 ft. depth.

(Video link) Then there's the "vampire squid" (Vampyroteuthis infernalis), a living fossil which can turn itself inside out to avoid predators. 

(Video link) This video shows a variety of deep ocean creatures with some remarkable uses of light for attracting or confusing prey. Most all of these are new to science, as 95% of the deep ocean is yet to be explored.

More at TED-Ed's "Deep Ocean Mysteries and Wonders"

6 comments:

T. Arispe said...

I love deep-sea creatures, they're so utterly fascinating. I'm especially struck by the beauty of Vampyroteuthis's eyes. Thanks for sharing!

Ceridwen Taliesin said...

Thank you for sharing these videos! Deep-sea creatures are indeed fascinating. I wonder why there aren't more fantasy artwoks showing creatures like these. They would be awesome!

Congratulations for your blog, James! I've been reading all your posts back to 2007, and I'm loving them. They're worth several art classes. BTW, I have the Imaginative Realism book and it's one of my favorites. I look forward to buying the others. Best wishes!

K_tigress said...

Love these as the others have said but I can't wait till man discovers what could be on other planets.

But then I just get out my sketch book and draw my own conclusion.

jeffkunze said...

These are so cool! That first one just looks like a giant floating blanket!
You can feel Hollywoods influence when you see things like this because I seem to be wondering when the thing is going to attack the camera the whole time I'm watching.

Unknown said...

Hollywood's influence is what makes me doubt what I see. I can't trust anything I see on screen these days because animated special FX have become so convincing.

Jobot said...

Any idea or word on what the Ocean Blanket creature is? That thing is so alien and fascinating; I must know more.