Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fish Thoughts

In this seven second video, the brain activity of a fish is registered in real time. (Direct link to video)

The brain belongs to a zebrafish, and the neuronal activity is the response to a visual stimulus that resembles food for this species.

Gizmodo describes the flashes as "thought forming in the brain."

Calling it "thought" may be a bit exaggerated. I mean, how much do fish think when they see food? They're like me when I see a bowl of corn chips. Attack first, think later.

But still it's exciting to see mental activity visualized in this way.
Photo above by Rene Spaargaren from Geekosystem


Dave Casey said...

Wow! Looks like me and a cheeseburger. :)

Rich said...

Yum, corn chips! I can second that...
But here in this case, some mental activity still remains intact: Or why did I come to think about John Pike?

Shreya said...

Hahah that reminds me of the Great Swallower image : I love how sheepish the Snake Mackerel looks.