Monday, September 23, 2013

"Australia's Age of Dinosaurs" Stamp Issue

It's now September 24th in Australia, which means I can announce the release of a new set of postage stamps that I spent a lot of the last year working on.


(Link to video trailer) This trailer gives you a peek at the instructional documentary that I created to record the adventure of creating the stamps. In the video, I share all the unique artistic insights that I learned from doing philatelic designs.

The stamp issue is called "Australia's Age of Dinosaurs," and it includes six stamp subjects against a scenic backdrop. If you live in Australia, you can pick up the stamps at the local Post Office, and regardless of where you live, you can purchase the stamp products at this link.

I'll tell you more about the making of the stamps in coming days (like the story of kicking a bloated wombat carcass), but if you want to grab the whole story right now, check out the links below to download the full-length 1080p (not 720p) HD digital video:

7 comments:

David Glenn said...

I know a few people who would love this.

Jason Peck said...

Hey James,

I really enjoyed your last video, How I Paint Dinosuars, what a great resource. I cant wait to get this new video as well.

I do have a question for you. Is that a Railroad Pocket Watch in your videos? I love the old mechanical pocket watches, they are tiny works of art on the inside. I have a 1908 Elgin. The one I have is only a 7 Jewel, but keeps perfect time for a 105 year old watch.


Carole Pivarnik said...

I just watched this video and it was so good. So so good! Entertaining and informative. I know I will watch it so many more times...just like How I Paint Dinosaurs. Thank you so much for sharing your process in this way.

I can't help but wonder what you do with all those maquettes you must have created for projects over the years...how and where do you store them? It would seem your studio would be overrun by now!

James Gurney said...

Carole, my shelves and counters are pretty full! Some of the maquettes have been traveling around in the Dinotopia museum shows. There will be several at the exhibition at the Arkell Museum in Canajoharie later in October. I often reuse them from one project to the next, so they don't sit idle. Have you seen my video "Maquette Magic"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6VozAf1vpc

Jason, yes, that's a railroad watch, but not an old or expensive one, just a reproduction. But I love it and it has served me well.

Unknown said...

As a huge fan of yours and an Aussie to boot, I will most definitely be getting some of those stamps and this new video.

Carole Pivarnik said...

James: Yes, that maquette video is adorable. Your studio is kinda like Wonderland. :)

Jared Shear said...

Another great video James!...really enjoyed it. Keep them coming!!