Monday, December 23, 2013

Spook-a-Rama

On my first visit to Coney Island in 1981, I sat down outside the Spook-a-Rama ride and pulled out my sketchbook.

Giant green spiders and one-eyed statues were hanging over the spot where I was sitting, but I liked it because I had a good view of the ticket booth.

The ticket man leaned into his microphone. "Spook-a-Rama! It's the big ride!" he said. "Everybody ride!" 

Nobody was buying tickets, so I gave the guy some customers. 
 ----
This drawing appeared in my 1982 book The Artist's Guide to Sketching
Other imaginative sketching on the blog: 

2 comments:

T. Arispe said...

I love when you insert creatures into real environments like this. It really gets the imagination going.

Anonymous said...

It would be great if your/Kinkade's book went back into print - it is way too expensive to buy an old copy online. Or perhaps a PDF version with a donation box.